Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Derek Anderson Ain't Laughing no More... He's Screaming


In Arizona Cardinals quarterback Derek Anderson's defense, this whole incident has been blown way out of proportion. However, his tirade last night didn't really help calm the situation.

On Monday night with the San Francisco 49ers leading the Cardinals in the fourth quarter en route to a 27-6 win, Anderson was caught on camera on the sidelines "laughing" with guard Deuce Lutui. From the get-go the deck was stacked against Anderson for the simple reason that there's no real discernible proof that he was laughing at all. For all anyone knows, it may just have been a wry, sarcastic grin on his face in response to his team being embarrassed by the juggernaut that is the 4-7 49ers. Let me paint a picture for you:

Anderson: "Man, I really suck tonight."
Lutui: "No kidding."
Anderson: "Thanks buddy." *Smiles*
Lutui: "Did you just smile?"
Anderson: "Whatever expression I make is nobody else's business."
Lutui: "Huh?"
Anderson: "It wasn't funny. I wasn't laughing about anything."
Lutui: "I'm just saying, you should be careful. We're down 18 points."
Anderson: "That's fine. That's fine. That's fine. That's fine. That's fine."
Lutui: "Okay, but you still shouldn't be laughing man."
Anderson: "I wasn't laughing about it... If you think this is funny, I take this sh** serious."
Lutui: "You take this sh** seriously."
Anderson: "Real serious."
Lutui: "No, seriously."
Anderson: "I put my heart and soul into this sh** every single week."
Lutui: "Alright, dude. Keep cool. People could be watching."
Anderson: "I'm just telling you right now what I do every single week."
Lutui: "Lose games?"
Anderson: "Every single week I put my freakin' heart and soul into this. I study my ass off. I don't go out there and laugh. It's not funny. Nothing's funny to me. I don't want to go out there and get embarrassed on Monday Night Football in front of everybody."
Lutui: "And yet here we are... wait. Did you just say nothing's funny to you? What about that time we saw Deuce Bigalow together and you laughed at our names being the same?"
Anderson: "I'm telling you right now, we're talking."
Lutui: "Way to state the obvious."
Anderson: "I'm done."
Lutui: "Talking?"
Anderson: "Hmm.. Deuce Bigalow... what a funny movie." *Smiles and gets caught on camera*

Clearly a misunderstanding if anything (although if he really did like Deuce Bigalow he should probably be benched out of sheer principle). Anderson wasn't necessarily laughing and potentially just smiling facetiously at how bad his team was doing at the time. Of course, we'll never know for sure thanks to him storming off the podium as he did. In so doing, not only did he fail to defuse the situation, but he also made it a whole lot worse for everybody... and funnier. Better not show the footage on the sidelines from here on out, because the team stands to get embarrassed a whole lot more, especially with Anderson starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment